top of page
离婚律师 | Divorce Attorney

Family Law
Family attorney that knows your case

Throughout each step of the process, our primary focus is on safeguarding your rights and interests while providing compassionate and personalized legal support. We understand that family law matters can be emotionally challenging, and our team is here to help you navigate these difficulties and reach a resolution that best serves your needs and the needs of your family.


Prenuptial & Postnuptial

We can help you draft, review, and negotiate prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, ensuring that both parties' assets and interests are protected in the event of a divorce or separation.

Divorce proceeding

Our team is experienced in handling all aspects of divorce, from uncontested to highly contested cases, including property division, spousal support, and addressing any financial matters that may arise during the process.

Alimony & Child Support

We can guide you in determining fair and appropriate alimony and child support arrangements, whether through negotiation, mediation, or litigation.


When life changes, your divorce decree may need changes too. We can help with divorce decree modifications, focusing on legal adjustments due to changes in income, custody, or living situations. 

Child Custody

Our team is committed to helping you reach a favorable and amicable child custody agreement that prioritizes the best interests of the child(ren) involved. We can assist with creating parenting plans, determining visitation schedules, and addressing any modifications needed as circumstances change.

Domestice Violence 

If you or your loved ones are facing domestic violence, we can help you obtain the necessary protective orders to ensure your safety and well-being. We also provide representation for individuals accused of domestic violence.


Our team is experienced in addressing the legal complexities associated with surrogacy, including drafting and reviewing surrogacy contracts, addressing parental rights, and navigating any disputes that may arise.

California Divorce 

In California, to get a divorce, you begin with filing a case in court. The state is a no-fault divorce state, meaning you don't have to prove wrongdoing by your partner to get divorced. It's possible to finalize a divorce even if your spouse disagrees. This process applies to ending both marriages and domestic partnerships. If you're considering a legal separation, the steps you'll follow are similar to those for divorce, but you'll need a separate guide for seeking an annulment.

Can You Divorce In California? 

To start a divorce in California, you or your spouse need to have lived in California for the last 6 months and in the county where you're filing for the last 3 months.

- Different rules apply for Legal Separation, Same-sex couples, or Domestic Partner


Legal Separation. You can apply for legal separation as soon as either of you moves to California. If later on, you decide you want a divorce instead, you can switch to a divorce case after one of you has lived in California (and in a specific county) for enough time.


Same-Sex Couples: If you're a same-sex couple who got married in California but now live in a place that doesn't recognize your marriage or allow divorces, you can still file for divorce in the county where you got married in California. The court can dissolve your marriage, but they might not be able to decide on things like who gets what, financial support, or matters concerning children. 


Domestic Partnerships: If your domestic partnership is officially registered in California, you don't need to worry about how long you've lived in the state to end your partnership. However, if you both haven't lived in California long enough, the court can still dissolve the partnership but might not be able to sort out issues regarding your belongings, money matters, or children. If your domestic partnership isn't registered in California, then you need to meet the same living requirements as married couples do for divorce.

The Paperwork

File the appropriate forms with the court, and pay a fee.  You generally will need:

1. Petition - Marriage/Domestic Partnership (form FL-100): This is the form where you'll provide basic details about your marriage or partnership and what you're asking the court to decide on, like splitting up property or arranging spousal support.


2. Summons (Family Law) (form FL-110): Filing this form notifies your spouse that you've begun a legal case against them, and they have 30 days to respond. The Summons also contains important rules that you must follow right after you file it, so make sure to read it carefully.


3. Declaration under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) (form FL-105): ​If you and your spouse have children under 18 together, there's an additional form you need to complete. This form is required for couples with minors. It provides the court with information about where your children were born, where they currently live, and whether there are any existing court cases involving them.

4. Local Forms. Check if there are any specific local forms required by your court. You can do this by reaching out to the court clerk's office, or visiting your court's website to inquire about any necessary local forms.

Urgent Matters

If there are urgent matters that can't wait until your divorce is finalized, such as deciding where your children will live, getting financial support from your spouse, or determining who stays in the family home and handles the bills, you might need to request a temporary order from the court. This means you'll have to fill out additional forms to ask the court to make a temporary decision on these issues.

Let Your Spouse or Partner Know

After you file your divorce or legal separation documents, you need to let your spouse (or domestic partner) know by properly delivering copies of these papers. This process is known as serving papers.

Serving papers involves having another adult, not yourself, give your spouse a copy of the documents you've filed with the court. This person is known as your server. After delivering the papers, your server must fill out a form and submit it to the court as evidence that the papers were handed over. This method is referred to as personal service.


However, there are cases where you might need to follow a different procedure, such as if you don't know your spouse's location or if your spouse is in another country.

If your spouse agrees to sign a form confirming they've received the divorce papers, you can serve the papers by mail. This method is known as service by Notice and Acknowledgement of Receipt. For a spouse living out of state, you have the option to send the papers via certified mail, ensuring you get a return receipt. Remember, you're not allowed to mail the papers yourself in either scenario.

Share Your Financial Information 

Telling your spouse (or domestic partner) about your financial situation is something you have to do if you're getting a divorce or legally separating. This process is known as giving a "financial disclosure."

You don't need to give these financial papers to the court. You just need to share them with your spouse. After that, you'll fill out a special form and submit it to the court. This form tells the judge that you've followed the rules and shared your financial info.

You'll need to complete forms that detail everything about your finances - what you own (like property and savings), what you owe (such as loans or credit card debt), what you earn (your income), and what you spend (your monthly expenses). You'll then share these forms, along with copies of important financial documents, with your spouse. This step is part of making sure everything is out in the open financially during the divorce process.

Using the financial information you've shared, you and your spouse can fairly divide your property and debts, and make informed decisions about child and spousal support. Being honest and open about your finances can help you reach an agreement more smoothly. If you try to hide assets or lie about your finances, you could end up losing property or being ordered by the court to pay for the other person's legal fees. It's in everyone's best interest to be transparent and truthful during this process.


If you're the one who started the divorce process (known as the petitioner), you need to provide your spouse with complete and up-to-date information about your finances.


On the other hand, if you're responding to the divorce (you're the respondent), you must share your financial information if you've filed a Response to the divorce petition. Even if you haven't filed a Response but still want the court to approve an agreement between you and your spouse (this is called a "default with agreement"), you're also required to share your financial information.

The first time you share your financial information with your spouse during the divorce process is called making your "preliminary disclosures." There's a specific deadline for these disclosures:

  • If you're the one who started the divorce (the petitioner), you need to complete your preliminary disclosures within 60 days after you file your Petition for divorce.

  • If you're responding to the divorce (the respondent), you have to make your preliminary disclosures within 60 days after you file your Response.

Meeting these deadlines is important to keep the divorce process moving smoothly and to comply with legal requirements.

Later in your divorce case, you'll have two options regarding sharing your financial information again:

1. Share Information a Second Time: This is known as a "final declaration of disclosure." It's a follow-up to the preliminary disclosures, providing updated financial information to ensure everything is current.

2. Agree to Waive Final Disclosures: If both you and your spouse believe that you've kept each other informed about your financial situations and don't see the need for another round of disclosures, you can choose to waive these final disclosures. To do this, both of you must sign an agreement.

To officially waive the final disclosures, you and your spouse need to sign and file a specific form called the "Stipulation and Waiver of Final Declaration of Disclosure," which is form FL-144, with the court. This step confirms that both of you agree to skip the final declaration of disclosure because you're both up-to-date on each other's financial information.

Finalized Your Divorce

To complete your divorce or legal separation process, you'll need to submit a collection of final forms to the court. This includes any court orders or agreements you've reached during the process. The court will carefully review these documents to ensure that all necessary information is provided and there are no errors.

Once the court confirms that everything is in order and there are no mistakes, the judge will sign off on the final judgment. If your case involves a divorce, this judgment will specifically mention the date your marriage or domestic partnership officially ends, marking the legal conclusion of your relationship. This final step is crucial in legally finalizing the separation between you and your spouse or domestic partner.

The specific steps you'll need to follow and the forms you'll need to fill out to finalize your divorce or legal separation can vary based on a few key factors:

1. If There's a Default: This situation occurs if one spouse does not respond to the divorce petition. In a default case, the petitioner may not need to go to court but will have to submit additional paperwork to prove the default and request a default judgment from the court.

2. If You Have a Written Agreement: If you and your spouse have come to a mutual agreement on the terms of your divorce or separation, including the division of property, spousal support, child custody, and child support, this agreement must be put in writing. Both parties will sign this agreement, and it will be submitted to the court for approval. Specific forms must accompany this agreement to ensure it meets legal standards and fully documents the terms of your agreement.

3. If Your Final Orders Address Child Custody or Child Support: When children are involved, additional forms related to child custody and support are necessary. These forms detail the custody arrangement, visitation schedules, and how much child support will be paid, including how it will be calculated. The court will review these agreements to ensure they are in the best interests of the children.

Spousal Support

Spousal support, also known as alimony, is money that a court orders one partner to pay to the other after a separation or divorce. It's meant to help the receiving partner take care of their living expenses. In California, this kind of financial help is called spousal support when it involves a married couple and domestic partner support when it involves partners who aren't married but are in a domestic partnership.

A judge has the power to decide on giving spousal support in cases of divorce, legal separation, or when there's a case involving domestic violence restraining orders. This means the judge can order one person to pay money to their partner or former partner to help them with their expenses.

There are two main types of spousal support:

1. Temporary Spousal Support: This is financial help given to a spouse while the legal case (like divorce or separation) is still going on. You can request this type of support right after you start your case. It's meant to cover needs during the legal process.

When deciding on spousal support, judges focus on two main things: the financial needs of the spouse who earns less and the ability of the other spouse, who earns more, to pay. This means the judge will examine how much money the lower-earning spouse needs to cover their living expenses and whether the higher-earning spouse has enough income to help meet those needs. This approach ensures that the support order is fair, considering what one person needs and what the other can afford to give.


2. Long-term Spousal Support: This type of support is decided at the end of the case, for example, when the final judgment is made. Sometimes it's called permanent support, but it doesn't always mean it will last forever. It's meant to provide financial assistance after the case is closed.

In many cases, marriages or domestic partnerships end without the need for one partner to pay spousal support to the other. However, long-term support tends to be more common in situations where:

  • The marriage or partnership lasted a long time.

  • There's a big difference in earnings between the two individuals.

When it comes to deciding on spousal support, a judge has a few options:

  1. Set an Amount: The judge can decide on a specific amount of money that one spouse must pay to the other as support.

  2. Reserve Spousal Support: In this case, the judge decides not to order spousal support right away but leaves the option open for the future. This means the support is $0 for now but could be set to a different amount later on.

  3. End the Possibility of Support: The judge can also decide to terminate the court's ability to award spousal support in the future, meaning no support can be ordered later.

Couples have the option to agree on the type of spousal support order themselves. If they can't come to an agreement, they can ask a judge to make the decision for them.

But, How Much? And For How Long? 


When it comes to spousal support, the length of your marriage plays a crucial role in determining how long the support will last. Generally, the idea is to give the supported spouse enough time to become financially independent. Here's how it typically works:

  • For marriages under 10 years, spousal support is often set to last for half the duration of the marriage.

  • For marriages over 10 years, there's no fixed rule on the duration of support. For these longer marriages, support could continue indefinitely, depending on the needs of the receiving spouse and the ability of the other spouse to pay.

Spousal support can end under certain conditions, such as when both parties agree on an end date that the court approves, the court decides to end it, the receiving spouse gets remarried, or if either spouse passes away.


The amount and duration of support don't follow a simple formula. Judges look at a variety of factors to make their decisions, including:


  • The length of the marriage

  • Each person's age and health

  • Their incomes and earning capacities, considering skills, education, job market, and the potential need for retraining

  • The standard of living during the marriage, including the type of home, cars, vacations, and credit card usage

  • Each person's assets and debts

  • Contributions by one spouse to the other's education, training, or career advancement

  • The need for support and the other's ability to pay, aiming to maintain the marital standard of living

  • The effects of taxes on spousal support

  • Any history of abuse

  • If children are involved, how childcare affected careers and how working might impact the children now

These factors, known as the Family Code 4320 factors, help the judge assess what's fair in terms of both the amount and duration of support. If you're going through a divorce or separation, understanding these factors can help you know what to expect and prepare for discussions, whether you're negotiating directly or presenting your case to a judge.

Family Law - Learn More

Book a Consultation

Our website has lots of info, but it's not the same as legal advice. For that, it's best to talk to a lawyer. Feel free to reach out to us - we're here to help!

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page